Crochet Cardinal Applique or Pocket Pal Amigurimi

Today I am going to share my Pattern for the Cardinal Pocket Pal. ***FREE PATTERN***

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Craft blog 2/14/2021 – 2/20/2021

Craft blog 2/14/2021 – 2/20/2021

Firefly by Lucia Stepankova  & Briannas Knit Capelet by Kristen Burnett


Today is the first day I am doing a craft blog that isn’t a pattern.

I will write up a weekly blog of my craft projects.

If I am using a pattern, I will add a link or let you know where I found the pattern – I will also include any notes of adjustments I made to the pattern.

I usually work on AT LEAST two projects each week. I have one that I work on during my lunch hour at the office and at least one at home project.

 

My office project is a baby blanket

                Pattern – Paid - Firefly by Lucia Stepankova 
                Yarn –   Brand - Lion Brand Ice Cream Big Scoop
                            Colorway – Cherries Jubilee/228
                            Yardage – one skein – 10oz/1117 yards
                Hook size – 4.5 mm

I am not making any adjustments to the pattern other than a different yarn and hook size

This is an easy pattern to follow.  It is worked in a round with Double Crochet and some chains.  It does have some special stitches - (Front Post Double Crochet, and Crossed Double Crochet)

So far, I am liking the look of it.  It is slow going because I only work on it for about 15 minutes during my lunch hour and I don’t work on it every day. 


My at home project is Knitted Capelet

This is a Knitted Capelet that is like the one Brianna wore in the Reunion episode of Outlander Season 4, Episode 9.  I had never watched the Outlander series until last month. This is a “steamy” romance series on Starz that is mainly set in late 1700’s Scotland and America.   There are several beautiful crochet and knitted pieces as part of the period costumes. After I finish this project, I may start one of the knitted shawls that Claire wears.

I started a capelet using this free pattern https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/briannas-reunion-capelet  with a size 13 (9mm) knitting needles and lion brand scarfie yarn.  Although the scarfie yarn is labelled as a #5 bulky, it is more like a #4 Worsted. Without doubling the yarn, it was too thin for the needle size and I wasn’t happy with the results.  Since I had a second skein of the same yarn, I set this aside and searched for a different pattern using #4 weight yarn.  I found a paid pattern that used two strands of scarfie yarn, but I didn’t want my capelet to be that thick.  I kept looking and found the outlander pattern central group on Facebook. This is where I located the Brianna’s Knit Capelet with higher collar pattern.  It still called for a #5 Bulky, so I had to make several adjustments to the pattern.  

                Pattern – Free – Briannas Knit Capelet by Kristen Burnett
  https://m.facebook.com/notes/outlander-pattern-central/briannas-knit-capelet-with-higher-collar/2269104683100286/  (you may need to be a member of the Outlander Pattern Central group on Facebook to see the pattern)
                Yarn -   Brand – Lion Brand Scarfie (this is labelled as a bulky #5 yarn but is more like worsted weight #4 yarn)
                            Colorway – Taupe/Charcoal 200
                            Yardage – one skein 5.3oz/312yards
                Needle sizes – 7.00 mm



The stiches used in this pattern are:

Slip 1 knitwise – at the beginning of each row
            Knit
Purl – the last stich of each row   
W&T – Wrap and turn – slip next loop to right needle, bring yarn around loop from back to front, slip the loop back to the left needle, turn your work (I put a stitch marker here to help keep track of which short row I am on)
YO-k2tog (for the button holes)

Here are the adjustments I made to the pattern:

            Cast On 51 stitches – I used the long tail cast on
            SETUP Rows: Knit 4 rows
            Step 1: I added 4 additional short rows, with Knit 26, Knit 29, Knit 32, and Knit 35
            Step 2: Knit 12 rows
            Final Step: Knit 4 rows
            Button Holes – in row 12 of step two on the 8th and 9th sequences – slip 1, knit 5, YO, K2tog, Knit to last stitch, purl
            I will do total of 10 sequences (**update 2/25 - I did 11 sequences)

Once I am done with the capelet, I will update the final measurements.

        Length -
        Neck width-
        Bottom width-

You can easily adjust this capelet – as a reminder always adjust step2 rows by multiples of 2 -   1 short row equals two step2 rows

SMALLER

Make it shorter by using less cast on stitches (in groups of three) and less short rows (1 less for every 3 stitches removed)
Make it less wide at neck only by using less step2 rows and replacing them with a short row
Make it less wide at the neck and base by using less step2 rows or doing less sequence repeats
Make it less wide at the base only by using fewer short rows

LARGER

Make it longer by adding cast on stitches (in groups of three) and more short rows (1 for every 3 stitches added) – add 3 to the knit # in step 1 for each additional short row
Make it wider at the neck only by adding step2 row and removing one short row
Make it wider at the neck and base by adding step2 rows or adding sequence repeats
Make it wider at the base only by adding short rows

 

Disclaimer

You may not copy and paste, re-post, or reproduce ANY part of the information contained herein electronically, verbally, written or otherwise, including translations.

I receive no compensation for mentioning any websites, patterns, or brands unless otherwise noted within blog.

All photos are my own and are not authorized for use by anyone other than myself

Find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter - like my page and share pictures of items that you have created.

Instagram    https://www.instagram.com/greenacrescreations
Twitter         http://twitter.com/Greenacrescrea1
Facebook   https://www.facebook.com/pg/greenacrescreation/about/
Ravelry       https://www.ravelry.com/designers/kendra-ohern

Kendra OHern

Green Acres Creations

1 comment:

  1. How did your cape let turn out with all the changes! I finished tonight as per the FB post and used softee baby chunky. Definitely short! Just wondering how you made out?

    ReplyDelete